Thursday, May 12, 2005

Drowning in a sea of papers, and water, and…snow?

Yes, I’ve been getting drenched, and being drowned today by inches. Inches of water and inches of paper. Inches of snow? Not yet, and hopefully not at all. It is almost June after all. I woke up this morning and got ready to go to work, thinking longingly of the end of the day, when I’d turn in my design project and be done with the semester. I looked out the window and it was raining. No surprise there, it’s been doing that a lot lately. So I finished getting ready and went out the door only to find that there were snowflakes mixed with raindrops. Not fair! It was COLD too. Below freezing with the wind chill it was, and me with only my hoody to keep me warm. Still, I braved insane semi-truck drivers, near collisions, and wet windshields to get to work.

When I arrived at work it was to find an ocean of photocopying on my desk. So-and-so needed such-and-such right away, and they’d brought in the Lawyers. So off I went to the photocopy machine – who needs a time out by the way. I copied all morning, and then ate lunch and finished my elevation view for the design project, the last bit of homework for the semester. I then copied until just now. When all was said and done, I had 4 inches of paper piled up from all the copying I did. It wasn’t the easy ‘feed-the-machine’ kind either. No, someone had to go and staple every three pages together. I got rather adept with a staple remover.

It’s still raining outside, and we’ll be getting a half inch to an inch of water. There are already flash flood watches in effect in some areas. That old saying about it never raining but it pours is certainly correct today.

On a better note, I am going to buy a digital camera. I’m not certain what kind yet. I may indulge myself with a 10x optical zoom one, or maybe I’ll go with a ‘pocket sized’ 3x optical zoom. I know I want 4 megapixels. Beyond that, the sky’s the limit. Well, actually the limiting factor resides in my pocketbook…but I can dream, can’t I? I’ve always wanted a camera with multiple lenses and many settings and shutter speeds. This probably won’t be it. But it’ll be a start.

Under a week and a half til I leave for California and then New Zealand. I bought a new day pack and a travel towel-y thing for the trip, and I will most certainly head back to REI before they close tonight to buy more things (man that store is a money pit for me). I’m getting excited, and I think I’m going to stop blogging and start making a list of everything I need to remember to bring. This time, Rachel, I will not leave my glasses in the U.S.

No comments: