Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Family Reunions…

This past weekend was the family reunion for my dad’s dad’s side. There were 150 people there, and that was not even all that were invited. If we were to count everyone, there would be 250 or more of us. And that is just my dad’s dad’s side of the family. (Next year, we have Mom’s mom’s side of the family, as well as dad’s mom’s side of the family. Each will be between 50-150 people.) The reunion was hosted by my immediate family, one cousin, and a few aunts and uncles. We organized the invitations, the food, the location, and the entertainment. I think it went pretty smoothly. Relatives from all over the US came to visit, though as always happens at these things, most stayed in their own family groups. It was like we were at a great clan gathering from somewhere back in hunter-gatherer mobile tribe history…and yet not. For one thing, I am pretty certain those hunter-gatherer ancestors didn’t have water balloon toss contests, or eat brats and potato salad, or bring a dish to pass. I’m fairly certain they didn’t have the convenience of indoor toilets either.
Still, some things don’t change. There were the usual stories, some of which I had never heard, and some about ‘cousin so-and-so’ that were traditional favorites. There were the littles running around with their newly discovered cousins, ignoring parents well intended advice, and generally tiring themselves out and getting dirty. There was the typical one side/group/person blatantly or covertly snubbing another side/group/person. There was that feeling that no matter how much you mingled, you just didn’t have enough time to talk to everyone, or you talked to too many people and didn’t really talk with anybody.
Our family reunion was set to start Saturday at 2PM until whenever. Of course, in typical clan fashion, we started a few days before and went a few days after the official reunion within my aunts and uncles, and those cousins we are particularly close to. The Montana cousins are some of these; they arrived Tuesday or Wednesday and the partying went on until Sunday or Monday (depending on the person and when they were leaving). As usual, most of this partying involved copious amounts of food. I think I probably gained 10 pounds this weekend eating cheese curds and brats and lasagna and artichoke dip with French bread and potato salad and vegetable salads and puddings and cakes and bars (I’m beginning to sound like a hobbit I think).
I had to leave Sunday afternoon after a rousing game of mini-putt with my younger cousins, and I was sad to go. As tiresome and complicated as having such a large family can be, I really do love having them. I almost feel sorry for those who don’t know the joys and pains of having such a clan. Still, I do feel for those who marry into the family, or those (like my brother’s girlfriend) who were experiencing us in full force for the first time this weekend. I admire them too; I think we’re probably pretty overwhelming to the uninitiated. And I wonder, when I do find someone whom I care about to be introduced to my entire family…will they stick around or run screaming? I had better add fortitude and strength of will to my list of qualifications…

No comments: