Monday, September 14, 2009

Wheels - rollin

Saturday is the big day! I have skated this last month enough that I know I will not die, but will not be perfectly happy, after the race. I have skated up to 18 miles at once (this past Sunday) and I made that, though my bones in my foot felt as though they were being smashed together and my ankle hurt. Typically, I'd like to get one skate at or longer than marathon distance before the race, but being that we're less than a week out, this isn't going to happen. Oh well. I did my best w/ my time limitations, and I'm actually skating it, not backing out, so I have that working for me. I'll do more training for the next one. If I said I'm not doing it based on training, I'd never do it cause there is no level of training that is 'enough' for me, really..

I'm in wave 4...which is what I qualified for based on my time from 2005 (yes, 4 years ago). I am no longer that fast, and I hope I don't tick anyone off as they fly past me :P I think it will take me close to 2 hours to finish, 15 minutes slower than 4 years ago, but not bad considering I have trained maybe...7 whole outdoor skates over 6 miles for this all summer! Still, I did 18 yesterday, and if I can go 18 I can go 26. I know that sounds strange, but trust me, it's true.

Later in the weekend we'll likely go climb farther north in the UP. Much fun will be had by all! And on Monday next, I'll be typing and complaining about how very sore and tired I am!

So, Saturday I will race, more against myself and a finish line than anyone else actually out on the course, and I'll have the satisfaction of knowing that I did it.

1 comment:

Karin said...

So you're driving to Michigan after the race? You are going to have some major leg cramps if you do...