Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Has anyone ever heard of a consistent office temperature?

Perhaps, but only if that temperature is labeled “cold”. It’s freezing in my little cave of a cubicle today. I know that all caves of a certain size and depth maintain one temperature year round (unless there are some sort of hot springs located there). That temperature is about 55, 60 degrees or something like that…which is what my office feels like today. I’m freezing! I own way to many ¾ length shirts and that leaves ¼ of my arms and my hands feeling like attached icicles. I have had lunch; I thought that maybe I was hungry because I had not eaten. Nope. I had tea this morning, and I spent a good 20 min reading my document with my hands cupping the mug and my body huddled over it’s warmth like some strange office fire place. I am seriously going to bring a blanket to work if it doesn’t get any better.

The only problem with a blanket at work is the succinct comfort that blankets create. I would be lulled into this state of warmth and happiness for a few seconds at a time, and then I’d have to get up to go get a file, or reach outside my cocoon for something on my desk, and my little happiness bubble would shatter. After lunch I just might find that having a little bubble of happiness translates far too easily to a little bubble of naptime.

I really need to get out from behind this desk I think. I’d even do a site visit in the rain (yes, I wrote rain. Bloody end of December in Minnesota and it’s drizzle raining here). Maybe someone has a new project for me that involves brains rather than mindless typing of labels onto the computer. Maybe I should rent a book or two on CD at the library for this label making. It can’t hurt, and I’m going to need some mental stimulation as I look forward to another 2.5 weeks of full time work with no more projects besides organizing and labeling files.

And WHERE is my snow?! I want to build snowmen, like the one I left for Rachel on her car last year because I could. I’d like to make one that encased a car, too bad they moved the derelict black car behind our house just before it could have become useful. Huh, sigh. I also want to go skiing on something besides manmade ice chaff. Oh well, enough ramblings for now, yes? I must get back to the overly stimulating task of making labels for files.

No comments: