Tuesday, January 25, 2005

OUCH!!!

This weekend was really quite painful. I love snow, and it finally came, but something about it just makes me lose some of my common sense I guess. This past Friday we finally got snow in more than a 'trace' amount. (About bloody time, too.) Totals were around 7 inches. Katie and I shoveled it all on Friday night. Ok, most of it as the snow was still falling at about 1 in/hr during the time we were shovelling. Saturday, the wind had 'helped' us out, and brought all the snow back to where we had made clean sidewalks, so we had to shovel again. Only on Saturday, the snow was packy. Ugh, but still in that novelty of fun stage.

Sunday I went skiing with Jenny A. and Lance. Yay. I've been trying to get out skiing with Jenny for quite a while. Hmm, I ended the night skiing anyway. I started by snowboarding. Last year was my first attempt at anything remotely sideways and I remembered two things about it. One-it was MUCH different from skiing, and two-it's painful when one falls at high velocities. (The second lesson I've learned on waterskies, regular skies, and rollerblades more than once in the last two years, but I seem to have to keep relearning it.) I also remembered catching on rather quickly...at least to the basics. So, off I went onto Lance's old snowboard with rented boots. I tried, and fell a LOT. Then I had lance adjust the bindings from a slightly carving stance to a 'regular' stance, and I was doing a lot better. I made it off the bunny hill and onto the regular greens. But after two hours I had fallen more than 50 times (or at least it felt that way) and I felt I had abused my muscles enough. Plus, I had forgotten my wristguards and I don't have a skiing helmet, and I refuse to go any faster without both for protection. So I switched to skies. Great fun, though after starting my skiing year with a board strapped to both feet and going sideways, it took a few runs to figure out two seperate ski-velocity-making instruments and forward momentum. Still, it wasn't crowded, and I had forgotten how much fun skiing is. Now I crave going West. Anyone game?

Below are pics from last years firt snowboard adventure. I don't have any from this year...Yet.


No comments: