Monday, August 29, 2005

Parting is such sweet sorrow

This Friday is my last day at work. I can't really believe that almost 3 years have passed since I began this job. I am sad to go, because I will miss the people. The work - well, it's "student work" and as such rather boring 90% of the time. Still, the time has come to pursue a different avenue of thought, and a new adventure.

That adventure will be named "Master's Thesis". Many such endeavors have been undertaken by Master's students throughout time. Peruse your local University Library thesis section if you should like some examples of the Works That Have Gone Before. My Work will be done on the crucial topic of decontamination of methamphetamine in HVAC systems in meth labs, and the air sampling that goes along with it. No, that is not its current title. The current working title (on the Work Plan anyway) is: Sampling for Methamphetamine Contamination in Air and HVAC Systems in Former Meth Labs. It’s just about as long and bulky as the description listed above. As I really detest long trumped up academic titles, I am currently in the market for a nickname for my project. Should you have any ideas, please contact me. I fully intend to use the winning nickname as the title of my Master’s Oral Defense. The Oral is the Final Exam of All Final Exams that I will need to pass in order to gain my degree. I am determined that it will be a fun and low key affair, as the topic is already weighty. I intend to bring powdered sugar covered donuts, and maybe even rock candy, and soda as a snack, and name it after the nick name, and have a great time with it.

School begins September 6th, as does my Thesis Work. I will be working mostly from home, with some time at school and some time in the ‘field’ (read: busted meth labs). I hope to finish the data collection by December and the writing of the thesis by March. I think I’ll be making a poster for the AIHce conference in May. It’s in Chicago this year. Anyone want to go to Chicago w/ me?

On a side note – pun intended – I have added a few new blog links to my Friend’s Blogs links in the sidebar. My friend Chris’s Blog, Canyons of the Deep, and my friend Lee’s Blog, Dinosaur in Trouble; my apologies Chris and Lee for taking so bloody long to link you. I am not so good at remembering to make template changes.

No comments: