Monday, July 10, 2006

Naughty, Naughty Self!

I'm a very naughty self. Here I am blogging when I said I would work on my Thesis. I have finished editing the first half, and added 3 more pages of type. The next part will be the hardest. I have the methods, results, and conclusions to finish. That part was only four pages in my first draft (the first part being 6, this of straight type, ignoring figures and tables). I added three pages to the first part and really should add 6 to the section I'm working on now. I want it to be a good 30 pages when I'm done. It has to be. (Yes, 9 + 10 does not equal 30. I'm saying 30 with the figures and tables and pictures and etc.) Writing this is so hard though, I learned to write in 'engineering school', where concise was good. Say what you have to say and be done with it. Let your figures, your bullet points, and you tables talk for you. Explain what they mean, don't restate what they are, etc. There is red all over my paper. Apparently in Public Health, a more flowy, less scientific voice is appreciated. Oh, still sound learned just do it in a friendly manner. Poo. I need more tea, that is the ticket. That is more classical music.

On a happier note, I have perservered and have triumphed over the leviathan that is the campus health service. All I asked was that they send a fax to my new place of employment stating that I may wear a respirator even though I have very mild asthma. Not hard, they could have hand written it on the note I give them and faxed it back. Takes 3 minutes tops. Or it takes 3 minutes for those of us regular type people. If we are from the health service it takes 2 weeks, 3 administrative assistants, all of the nurses, one doctor, one dictation expert, and 17 phone calls. Still, I finally got them to send the letter off to my employer's human resources division. Whee! I am proud of me.

Today so far I have accomplished the above defeat of the leviathan, the first have of my thesis, the dishes, a 2-3 mile run, sit-ups and stretches, getting clean again (hot out), and lunch. I guess I'm not a very naughty self after all. Still, I should stop stalling.

No comments: