Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Back on the wagon

..and by wagon I mean software.

In 2006 I had my RMR (Resting Metabolic Rate) calculated to determine what amount of calories my body needs just to exist. This came out to 1640. Throw in walking about, and we're likely at about 1800 a day. I haven't had this done in a while, likely it's changed some, but not drastically. Recall most people/commercials etc say 'based on a 2000 calorie diet'? Well, If I don't excercise daily, that will gain me one pound a week. No wonder I gain weight like I'm standing still............

Along with doing the RMR, I bought a software program called Balance Log to track the calories of what I was eating. I started in Sept of 2006, and lost about 10 lbs. Then I stopped, and gained the weight back, though bad habits. I tried again, and again lost some weight (though not the original 10 lbs). I lost interest, and over time, I went to that mass that indicated my need to change my blog, and my lifestyle. As of Monday, I'm back on the software. This time, I've already lost 5-10 lbs on my own (depending on time of day/month etc of weight measurement). But then, I stopped losing. I haven't gained any back, since November, but I'm not making progress either. So, along with my new outlook, I'm going to try the software for a while to track what I'm eating, learn and SEE my bad habits, and be able to work on them. My goal for the software is 20 lbs by July 4. Will I make it? Dont' know. Don't care if I get that low, but 10 is absolutely necessary. Why? Because I did 10 on my own, I need to do 10 w/ the program. No other reason, just that.

So, I put in accurate information for myself, and I've kept track of what I'm eating for 2.5 days. I already see a trend, and it's one of laziness - or perhaps a consequence of being too busy. I need to work on adding more fresh veg and fruits, and less packaged food. Translated - cook my own food more.

As the weather turns nicer, and the sunlight is out more, I will have more motivation I think. Also, I will be able to grow my OWN fruits and veggies, and that will help. Right now I just have to adjust to turning the clocks ahead one hour. It hit me much harder this year than most, or I'm just more tired lately. Either way, I think 'daylight savings' needs to be banned, by court order, at the soonest possible opportunity.

So, track and hold self accountable for calories, go to the Y my 12 times per month, and cook more homecooked foods. That's where I'm going from here.

No comments: