Friday, March 20, 2009

Things going right, things going wrong

Today was an odd one. I woke up and got ready for work and was about to jump in my car and head out; but opening the garage door made a funny noise. As I put my bag in the back seat I went around back of my car to take a peak. Sure enough. A beer bottle - smashed - had rolled into the garage from where it had been resting on the closed garage door. I leaned over to pick up the piece and see where the other pieces were to pick them up to (before driving over them) when I realized I wasn't dealing with just one bottle. I leaned into the house and called to Trevor.

The end result - last night our house was vandalized. There were broken beer bottles all over the driveway, shattered in such a fashion that it looked like they had TRIED to cover every inch of pavement with glass shards. There was broken glass jar of spaghetti sauce strewn all over the driveway. I got out the shovel and shoveled the 1/16 in. snow to the side of the drive and moved the glass with it. When the snow melts, we'll vacuum up the glass pieces w/ the shop vac. Then I looked back at the house. Somehow the spaghetti sauce has made it to above the front door on the siding. Oh, and the siding above the garage has been broken by a flying bottle, likely. At that point, I called the police.

A nice Cottage Grove police officer came out, and met Trev (I had to go to work) and told him what I though he would say; that it wasn't an isolated incident. and here is the report number. We'll clean off the sauce tonight or tomorrow so it doesn't stain. The trickier part will be finding a piece of siding to match our house, as the house's siding was replaced after a hail storm 7ish years ago and we don't know what company did it. I hope the siding has a brand name written on the inside when we take a piece down. Good thing I know how to install siding...

A neighbor was vandalized a few weeks ago (hence the not isolated). Kids pranks are all part of growing up, but this was malicious, and it's time they grow up. I hope they're caught, but I bet they won't be. If they are, I'll be first in line asking the judge to make them do community service with an organization like Habitat for Humanity, so they can see first hand what goes into building and owning a house.

On a positive note, I received an award at work today. Odd how life balances itself out, isn't it?! And I ran 5 miles yesterday (yes, I still can't believe that). Climbing tomorrow, and I'll try out the running again on Sunday, to see if it was a fluke.

Happy first day of Spring, Everyone!!

No comments: