Monday, April 28, 2008

Arbor Day

Saturday was Arbor Day, so in the spirit of the theme, we brought home 2 new trees. Our Fair City had an Arbor Day event, and was handing out free maple trees (not little ones either, ours is as tall or taller than me! I'll measure tonight). They had parks and rec and garden club people there, and some others, and another tree vendor. So...we got our free tree, and bought one spruce tree, sized 4ish feet. It was snowing and winding on Saturday (SPRING! I want spring!) so we didn't plant them Saturday.

Sunday we had some shovel work to do before we could plant the trees. We had a dead tree last year, and had cut down most of him, but still had to remove the stump...oof! That involved breaking up all the roots, digging down below it, and trying to pull it out. After trying to lift the sucker, and un-stuck it from the ground, we decided to try something fun. I have now an SUV. We decided to try out the 'utility' function. So, using our climbers skills, we used anchor points in the back of the car and created an anchor to hook the webbing attached to the stump to. Then, I put my new car in first (I can choose the gear, it's not a manual...but I have some options), and she PULLED. Out came the stump! Tonight, we'll have to go buy a wheel barrow to carry the stump to the back yard. In the hole we created, we planted the spruce. In the back yard, we planted the maple. Today, I hurt.

No comments: