Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Super Size Me

Yesterday I was busy at work with files all day, so when I got off work, I decided I needed a treat. I went to B&N for a book, but didn't find one. Then I went to get groceries, and found a book at the grocery store. Weird, I forgot to look for that authoress when I was at B&N though. Then I ate a quesadilla and drove to Uptown for the movie Super Size Me. Great film. Really funny, and disturbing at the same time. I laughed a lot, and cringed a lot, and recommend everyone go to see it. Especially if you tend to eat a lot of fast food. I haven't eaten at a McDonald's for about 5 years, unless you count the 1 snack size yogurt parfait and the 2 apple pies I know about in the last five years. No meals, anyway. I tend to avoid fast food on principle, but mostly because I get physically sick every time I eat it. I can eat some Arby's, the potato or chili at Wendys and subs. That's about the extent of my 'fast food' intake.

Not that I'm getting all up in the faces of people that do eat it. It's just I can't, and since I can't, I don't. And now that I haven't for a really long time, I feel sickened by the thought of putting that much grease into my belly. The average burger/fry/soda combo scares me. This movie validates much of the problems I have with this food. The nice nutritionists in the movie say you should eat at a McDonald's type establishment only once or twice a month, because of the high fat content and the fact that it doesn't meet most of your nutritional needs. I think that would be good enough for a 'treat' for people who need/want/like it. I won't give anything else away, but if you have a chance, to watch it.

I have my vices too, of course. Like last night, for instance. When I was at the grocer purchasing my book, and milk, I bought a half gallon of ice cream. Ice Cream is just as bad for you as fast food. If you eat it all the time, you'll have the same problems. I don't intend to eat it all the time though...it's just it made me giggle so hard when I saw it, I had to have it.

I bought Bunny Tracks Ice Cream. It made me laugh because I was thinking about the bunnies on the property from this weekend. The baby bunny that came shooting out of the bonfire (apparently he decided to take up residence) and then the Mommy Bunny that gave us "evil death looks" for tampering with her baby bunnies. So, the ice cream was only fitting. Talk about impulse buying though :P I had a bowl last night, and maybe I'll have one tonight, but I doubt it. I had chili and a crossant for lunch, and I'm having a piece of cake from a coworker's daughter's wedding leftovers for dessert, so I don't think I'll need the bunny tracks tonight. Besides, when will I have time? I am climbing right after work, then eating a small amount and going rollerblading after that, and then trying to finish my book. No time at all. Gotta get in shape-the movie has inspired me to exercise more and eat better, and do my situps. Ugh--now it's in writing and I'll have to do it!

No comments: