Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Wouldn't It Be Nice?

Remember that oldies song?  It went something like "wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long..." or something.  Yeah.  To that effect.  Wouldn't it be nice if people at work invented databases that worked, then we wouldn't be spending our day mincing around in a half working one.  For instance, I'm trying to add county data to address where it's missing.  Instead of "memorize address, delete address, search for address, see if it has the county in it...no?...delete address again, search again, then add new, add address again (the same one) w/ county in it, change something slightly so it doesn't yell at you, add this new address, save; we could instead just EDIT THE DAMNED THING!!!!   *takes deep breath*  Oh, there is a modify current address function.  But apparently I need my supervisor's supervisor's password to have access to changing that (I've tried it w/ the sup's).  It has sharing violations or something.  Aparently this database never went to kindergarten.  So, instead of just click, type address, save, continue, I get to do the process above...ALL bloody day.  *takes another deep breath*  This is definately a good test of my patience and ability to hold my temper.  Oh, I do so HATE stupid people, or at least people who don't think things through. 

Oh, and the best part is...they designed the database this way so they wouldn't have duplicate addresses...when the only way to fix the address is to duplicate the address w/ the county in it.  Oh, I can't wait for one of the database-police to come yell at me.  I will give them what's for.  *looks around*  Now, I'm going to go find something to kick.  Good thing I get to climb the walls later today, or I'd be trying it now.

No comments: