Sunday, July 04, 2004

Rain, Rain, go away. Come back another day.

On second thought, the rain wasn't so bad. I ran my first 5K today, the "Hairpin Run" in Door County. So named because about 1.5 miles into said run, you run down the 'hairpin curve' on some road. So, you start by running up this REALLY BIG HILL, and then you run up and down some more hills, and then you run down a hill and around this curve, and then you finish on this really long straight flat part. We woke up this morning, and it was pouring. So I sighed and thought to myself, "If only I hadn't actually pre-registered for this madness." But I had, and my mom and dad paid for said madness, so I was going, even though bed was a good place to be w/ the rain pouring down and the window open. Still, it wasn't a bad thing, because I talked a whole bunch of my cousins into sharing the madness with me. We started the weekend w/ just my brother and my uncle running it, and them having conned me into running it. By race time, it was my brother and his girlfriend, my cousin and her two children, my other cousin M who had the homecoming party on Friday night (more below), and my uncle. Going from 3 to 8 people. Whee!

So, the horn (airhorns are prefered instead of guns aparently) went off, and up the hill we went. My uncle was convinced that sprinting up the hill was better than taking it easy, since you didn't burn out so fast that way. Hell, what do I know, I followed his advice and tore up the hill. As my dad said (sorry if this offends any animal lovers) I ran up that hill like a raped ape. Then it was the long, wet trudge to the finish line. At least I gave it my all when I got to the end, and ran accross the line feeling good. I took 461st. (at least that was out of 800 people. I don't feel quite like a slow slow idiot.)

The rest of the weekend was fun as well. Wednesday night I went to Spiderman 2. May I repeat Katie's setiment...if you haven't seen it, get your lazy bum to the theatre pronto. Thursday I got up early and went riding/training horses w/ my good friend here. I didn't ride too much, in anticipation of the afore mentioned race. Friday I did my laundry and washed the Super Saturn, and then I went up to DC w/ the fam and went to M.'s homecoming from the armed services party. Good times! Saturday was play at the beach day w/ my bro and his girlfriend, and then out to the cottage to eat yummy food and shoot off big big fireworks. Damned mosquitos there ate you the second you went outside though. Nasty critters them. Sunday was the race, as mentioned, and now i'm sitting on my bro's laptop, getting pissed at the little mouse thing, and gonna order chinese and watch Kill Bill. Good weekend all around I think!

No comments: