Monday, August 30, 2004

Sometimes you just need to cut your hair

You know that feeling. It's the "I need to change something or do something different or I'm going to explode" feeling? I'm having that feeling right this second. Part of it could be that it's now 2:20 and I've eaten lunch, and been working on this project for 6 hours and I have to be here til 4 and I am really sick of sitting behind a computer. I think it has more to do with the fact that I've been wrestling with ideas now in my head for a while.

I'm starting grad school. That's something different. I've always tried to reinvent myself when I went to a new school. I tried to be less shy when I switched middle schools. I tried to get more involved in sports and academic team stuff when I went to high school. When I went to college I went somewhere that was out of state, that not a lot of people I knew went to. New major, new me, right? But through it all, I'm still same me on the inside. Oh, I've grown and changed. It's kinda impossible not to in almost 24 years. Still, I have grown into a set of morals and values that are mine no matter what, and not much is going to change that. So all this other changing is just window dressing. It's like the seasons almost. My back yard looks major-different four times a year, and every day there's just a bit of change to be found. Still, no matter how much snow there is, or how many leaves are on or off the tree, the tree is still there, and it's still my yard.

Still, You can trim the tree, or add hedges, or build a deck or gazebo in your yard. It's still the yard, but you've ended the monotony of looking at the same scenery every day. You can change the window dressing. I think I see a gazebo on the horizon.

No comments: