Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Strange Head Day

I'm headed to the climbing gym in a few minutes. Today will be my last day climbing before the comp. If it works anything like when I would have a practice right before a golf meet in HS, I will do terrible. Strangely, that's not all that much on my mind right now.

I'm having a strange head day. I can see things with less internal fog today, but I'm driving a lot faster. Allow me to explain. The fog: many times I can tell in what direction a project or task needs to go, but I can't see the road to get there. I can see steps say, 1-3, but 4-10 remain blurry. Today, I am seeing 1-5 or even 1-6. The problem - my brain is driving faster. Usually my brain drives along at 30 mph, giving me plenty of time (with or without fog) to see the upcoming obstacles, plot a path around them, and continue. It also gives me time to process what I'm thinking about. Today - the brain is driving about 70 mph. The map also seems to have been thrown out the window. "Ooh, this road looks fun", I'll take a right here, a left there.. I'm seeing though that fog, but I'm not processing what I'm seeing; I don't have time to digest. The random paths my brain is taking means I've solved about 150% more problems today than normal, but I'll likely not retain more than 75% of that. The obstacles - I'm swerving, but instead of going around an obstacle and continuing down the road towards a solution, I swerve onto another project or idea altogether. The question is...does 75% of 150% leave me where I'd normally be??? It's a strange head day, and I can't tell if it is going to help me, or hurt me, somewhere down the road.

No comments: