Friday, February 13, 2009

A theory to decrease obesity

If everyone in the world were provided a drinking device outfitted with a straw, obesity rates would diminish.

That is my null hypothesis. I have discovered, through careful and not very scientific methods, that more liquid is consumed through a straw than in the absence of one. Logically, if one had a water bottle with a straw, one would drink - perhaps double the liquid in one day. Doctors tell us we should have 8 glasses of water a day. I also know that if one's tummy is full on water, one isn't as hungry. Therefore, If everyone in the world were to be provided a drinking option with a straw, and that drinking option was used to consume water rather than bottled sugary beverages, the calorie consumption of the worlds population would decrease and so would obesity.

(just a random though I had as I drank my second full cup water today through a straw)

2 comments:

Chris said...

I think that is a great hypothesis. We had a work training on water intake, and the latest recommendation for number of glasses/day is 0.06 * body weight (lbs). I thought 8 glasses of water/day was recommended, but turns out that was an old way of thinking.

Jennifer said...

If that is true, Chris, then I need to start drinking WAAAY more water. And here I thought I was a pretty good water drinker. Under that formula, is a glass equal to 8 oz?