Wednesday, July 10, 2002

I drew today. I haven't drawn in ages. And this wasn’t just a doodle either. I drew a woman, in a long dress, wearing a pendant. She resembles me, and yet isn't. Her hair is short and curly like mine, and her eyes are large and light, she smiles easily like me, and like me there is mystery and mist surrounding her. But she has a sophistication I don’t have, and there in the gray lines and shadows, she hides something from me. It's there, in the mist, just out of sight, just out of reach. And like the fading remnants of a dream, the more I reach for it, the harder it is to grasp. She hides it in her hands clasped behind her back. While I drew her from my memory it almost came to me, but then, when I stopped to ponder…it was gone.

I don’t' know why I decided today of all days to pick up a pencil and a sketchpad and draw. Well, it wasn't even a sketchpad, just a pad of engineering graph paper I had laying around cause my sketchpad seems to have disappeared. They say a picture is worth a thousand words. I wonder if a sketch is worth a thousand thoughts, or hopes, or dreams. The weather could have had something to do with the drawing. It rained all day here. Not a summer rain, but a cool fall rain, the kind that I can imagine falling on a castle on a moor, with mist surrounding it. My lady belongs there, in the castle in the mists, and maybe-hopefully-so do I.

No comments: