Tuesday, July 30, 2002

I went to see Devine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood this weekend with my mom. She came to visit me. We had one heck of a storm during and after the movie too, but that isn’t the point of my story, yet. I really, really liked it. I know it had some bad reviews, and maybe the reason I liked it so much is I can relate to some of the stuff in the movie. Oh not the bad stuff, but the good things, and the humor, and having friends like the ya-ya’s. I kind of had a group like that growing up. We never had a special name for ourselves or anything that I can remember, but many of the same close ties were there. And I could relate to having my friends help me to be a little less reticent. So all in all, I would say if you are a woman (guys may have trouble understanding all the topics), and you enjoy girly movies, and movies with a story, and movies with an actor who has a GREAT accent (I love accents), then this is one for you. It made me sniffle and laugh, so all in all a good movie-going experience.

Ok back to the storm. OOH—funny story: After the movie we drove home in a monsoon, and there were flash floods over some of the roads and I enjoyed thoroughly going through puddles at high rates of speed like they tell you not to do. When I got into the city (most of the drive was on the highway), and I was almost to my house, the water pressure built so much in the storm sewers that it was blowing the man-hole covers off and shooting water 30 ft. into the air a-la-geyser-style. It was so fun to watch, we were driving just slightly behind it, so we saw them do this geyser act one at a time for about 8 or 9 blocks.

I love thunderstorms with a bunch of rain and wind and especially lightning! I love playing in them. We are supposed to have a few more here tonight and tomorrow and Saturday, I can’t wait. Anyway, next chance you get go play in the rain and wind and have a great time, and go see Devine Secrets.

No comments: