Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Bleepity Bleep Bleep BLEEP!

I am so not fond of Munchenstein right now. Munch, who died a sad death earlier this year is survived by Munchenstein (read Munch in Stein, not 'Munich stein') Munchenstein received a few transplanted bits from Munch, namely a brain (and a spare brain) a mouth, some ears, and probably a kidney. But, alas. Munchenstein is being a pain in my ass.

(for those of you who don't know the torrid history of Munch and Munchenstein, I will sum up. Munch was my computer. It died, so I got a new box and a few new parts, raised the parts of Munch that weren't decrepit and decayed, and made Munchenstein)

So, Munchenstein got sick, he caught 4 viruses in a row. Then his quick launch toolbar (which I was fond of, and he found so useful) launched itself to the moon. He fell asleep a few times and wouldn't wake up, until he was jerked awake by some changes to his voltage. Then, the kicker. He lost his IP address. You should NEVER do that (it's since been learned that his ISP lost his IP address for him, but his ISP is very money hungry and will do anything for the right fee, so they were going to help him get his IP back). So, to remedy all this...Munchenstein was blown up, and rebuilt even better...

Or so I thought. You see, as these things always go, you forget the little things. Like addresses in your address book, or telling Munchenstein to remember the mail (poor, poor emails downloaded into M.'s brain, I've lost you forever). And so, One HD less(because M. won't recognize it) and a different set of clothes (Windows 2000 rather than XP), M. was reborn. Unfortunately for me, he still doesn't remember his IP address. At least we've gone from 169.blah blah blah to 0.0.0.0 But, I need a 66.blah blah blah to get the internet to talk with him. He's being coy, and not remembering how to talk to a server, telling me that his DHCP is all wacky (it's not, I double checked), and just being naughty. So, today I had to download him a new driver, so that maybe, just maybe his little self would remember his IP address. (which is DYNAMIC--hello, you don't have to remember lots of numbers just the first two, stupid Munchenstein!) If this doesn't work, I'll have to perform an "Ethernet card transplant" which could be dangerous and life threatening. In some cases where all this happens, Computer tend to jump out windows or in front of sledge hammers.

And you wonder why I called his father "munch"?!?!

No comments: