Friday, March 18, 2005

Let it Snow!

Or, perhaps not. You know, the weatherpeople shouldn’t give such a buildup like they did yesterday and then not deliver. It’s maddening. We started the week with a chance of snow today, and by Tuesday it was an up to 6 inches storm. By Wednesday it was a foot of snow. Thursday, yesterday, they were back to a cautions 6-9 inches. By last night it was 6-9 inches in the south metro and 3-6 inches in the north metro. This morning I woke up to NO SNOW! Talk about your letdowns. I admit that I’m ready for spring. I want it to be warm and nice and flower-like outside. But, this was to be the great-basketball-tournament-time-snowstorm. It’s tradition. Also, we’ve only had one snowstorm that amounted to lots of snow this year. One! That’s unheard of. We had one other that had 4 inches of snow. The ‘big one’ was only 7-9. Wow. This has been one of the worst winters (for snow) ever. Oh, it was cold, and bleary, but it rained or iced more than it did the pretty white stuff. If I lived on the West Coast, where weather like this is expected, I’d be ok. I, however, live in the Midwest. I remember stories of the “storm of XXXX where 30 inches of snow fell in one day, and 45 in three, and schools were closed, and you had to build tunnels to get out of your house….etc…” I wanted a nice snowy winter. The Farmers Almanac said we were to have one. Where did it go?

I drove into work this morning and it started snowing halfway here. Little October sized flakes, for an piddley little storm. I’m disappointed, distraught, let down. I was looking forward to shovel money. Now all I get is a dirty windshield, sloppy shoes, and a wet dog.

I say wet dog because I’m house/dog sitting this week. Good fun, and I’m actually not dying of allergies. She’s a wonderful dog, though apparently believes that my legs make a comfy bed. I tend to disagree. Still she gives you those eyes… It’s kinda fun to pretend that it’s my house, and that I’m all ‘grown up’ with a real house of my own, and real furnishings that match. I like the house, it’s a style I wouldn’t mind having myself someday…when I have enough stuff to fill an entire house. Right now, I could furnish the kitchen, one of the living/dining/family rooms, and one bedroom. Sparsely. But, I suppose that is why we tend to work our way into real houses.

Last night Katie and Jenny came up and we went to dinner. We were celebrating Katie’s second interview for a real, grown up, permanent teaching job. Good luck today mi amiga! I am working today, and then hope to have something to celebrate w/ her later tonight (though I’m sure she’ll not know right away, she’ll probably have a good inkling.) So that’s that. Oh, and it’s supposed to be 50 on Wednesday next week. Yippee!!!

No comments: