Friday, March 25, 2005

I need a job!

Or at least, a different job. I have to do a field study/internship to successfully complete my Master’s degree. I thought I could complete said field study at employed where I am currently, but no such luck. Things move too slowly within government for the project I wished to work on to be ready. Oh, and there were some access issues to the substance I need to do air sampling for as well.

So, I have looked elsewhere. I applied/interviewed for an internship this past Monday, and I think the interview went ok. My interviewing skills are really rough though. I will have to make up my 10 most hated questions to be asked by the interviewer, and come up with answers ahead of time. I really hate the “what is the most ideal situation or job for you right now” question. I know I should have an answer, but I just don’t yet. I haven’t actually done anything remotely like what I’m going to school for yet. I have no experience in the field, and not enough in similar fields to say “I would like this type of job, and this type of company, working with this system…”

My hope is any internship I get will last past the summer and into the school year/through the school year part time. Not that I don’t like my job right now, but…I wouldn’t mind a change of scenery. Plus, I have to find a new job before the end of October because my student position ‘runs out’ then, and I can’t be rehired. Poo. I really would like to start doing a job in my field. This is kinda sorta maybe in my field, if I push it, but the work isn’t challenging – it’s student work. I want a challenge, something to tackle, a project of my own.

No comments: