Thursday, July 17, 2008

Landscaping is fun, you get to play with protractors!

I love gardening. Lots of people know this. I name my plants. I try not to name the ones in the garden...because I'll be eating them. But the house plants have names. So when the announcement for the Landscaping for Homeowners class came in my Northern Gardener magazine, I jumped on it. Trevor also signed up.

We took the first class (of three) this past Monday night. It was very informative. The same class (or a similar one) is taught at the U during a semester. Landscaping 101 - or some such. The only problem with a 15 week class crammed into 3?? The homework is also piled into three. Good thing I have this weekend off :P

This weekend our homework is to create a base plan, a bubble diagram, and a concept map of what we'd like our landscape to look like. This doesn't mean pick the plants. This means lay out where the trees and shrubs that are staying are, make a to-scale drawing of our plot (including house, driveway, outbuildings, etc), and show where we want turf, planted beds, walkways, and trees and shrubs, and etc. I'm excited....I'm also daunted. I have to decide what I want to keep, and what I feel will get ripped out. Not that we're going to get out the shovel and heave to this weekend, but...eventually, I'll have to say goodbye to some plants. I'll get new ones, but...it will be sad. We also have to decide what to do with the easement...do we plant it, do we put in ground cover, do we just mulch it? We have to get rid of the weeds.

Friday night is golf, then Saturday will be work on the homework, pull weeds, and finish pressure washing the deck. I also have to go to the Y twice this weekend. So, this weekend is mostly for the yard - let's hope the weather cooperates.

No comments: