Thursday, May 04, 2006

Adventures in Poster Making

I have to make a poster for our national conference this year about my research. You know the type of poster I'm talking about, the 44 inches by 72 inches professionally printed looks cool kind? Yeah. That's what I've been working on for the last week. Last night, or this morning rather, at 1AM I sent off the verbage to my prof. to be edited and went to bed. My plan was to send all my graphics, tables, etc, my poster template (colors and style, etc), and my verbage to a professsional and have him put it together.

This morning I awoke with different plans. Last night in my sleep I drempt industrious dreams. In one I knitted an entire sweater (sans arms because I didn't know how to attach them), and in another I climbed a really hard climb with no rope because I had to get something from the top - don't remember what now. I awoke feeling tired, but motivated. I checked email, and found a few emails on said poster from a classmate who happens to be presenting a poster at the same conference. She had sent along some info she had gotten from the conference people on the poster, and what she had done so far. I thought, hey...maybe I can do that too! So I sat down and in the last few hours, pounded out a poster. it's not perfect, but the gentleman who is printing my poster will do 'make pretty' edits for free, and I'm waiting on content edits from my prof.

I honestly don't think I would have done so well making my poster had it not been for the email from a classmate with some directions, the 'how to' sent from the man who is printing my poster, and some good luck thrown in. I know the second I go to change ANYTHING - be it font size, or figure order...EVERYTHING will unformat, so I think I'll leave those changes up to the professional.

Hm, I think I'll eat some lunch, and do some cleaning...or maybe just reward myself with a good book.

No comments: