Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Lilacs

I woke up today when I was supposed to, but I had left the window open to the breeze last night and a lovely cool breeze scented with lilacs was floating into my room. I thought to myself, I'll just relax a bit longer, and I floated away into lilac scented dreams. This morning I could have related them to you, but now they are just a distant memory.

I went to MDH to get my equipment to do some field work tomorrow, and then came back home. As I stepped out of my car to go back into my home, I again scented lilacs. I wanted to cut some and bring them into the house to fill the inside with the wonderful smell of spring. Lilacs are my favorite flower, but they last so very short a time once cut from the bush. They are all in perfect bloom here, we're almost done with the season, but back home I bet it's just beginning. So at least when I go to GB for a week I'll get to smell the lilacs again. I wonder if there is a lilac-type bush out there that blooms longer, or multiple times? I'd buy it. When I own my own house, I'm going to create a property line of lilac bushes (and keep them trimmed so I can always reach the flowers to smell them).

Right now, my house smells like lunch, and looking around it I can smell the hint of cleaning fluids. Not that I've used them yet, but I have to. I think my senses are reminding me of the work I really should be getting done. First the lunch, then the work. At least I'll get to play outside this afternoon!

No comments: