Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Locked Up

Today, sometime between the 10:48 when I arrived at work and the 12:09 when I left, someone implemented a new policy regarding the visitor badges (which I wear) limiting the are in which they will open doors. Great idea, not giving visitors access to all parts of the building. Note to whomever did such a thing in the middle of the bloody day: "next time please turn off access when there aren't visitors in the building in areas where they can be locked in."

Yup, I got locked in the Scientific Corridor (area of building where the labs are). I had already been able to access the area, like I've done for the last three months, and was working just fine when I realized I'd forgotton something upstairs. When one leaves the bottom floor to go to the top floor (or vice versa) one must rescan one's keycard to get either back into the corridor or out into the office space. This is so delivery people can't go walking amuck in the labs or offices. This also serves to lock poor, unsuspecting student workers such as myself into the scientific elevator area when the badges were switched. I had to wait to be rescued. I thought perhaps the badge had been turned off (it's happened before), so I went to retrieve a new badge. I tested that one first. No dice.

Now I have to somehow find a way to do my research with either 1. a shadow employee who has a working badge, or 2. a different type of badge that will let me into my areas.

If it isn't one thing it's another. Poo. (On the upside, I'm finished with classes now until I decide to either take a refesher course or go for my PhD.)

No comments: