Monday, April 24, 2006

The home stretch

Or is it the seventh inning stretch? I don't' know. I can't, not yet. I have only two weeks left to finish all classwork and my poster for the conference. So in that way it is indeed the home stretch. I have a limited amount of time to finish things, things are coming down to the wire, etc. Still, I have to write my thesis before the end of the summer (sooner is preferable) and give my oral defense before I am awarded my degree. I also have to find a job. So in that way it is the seventh inning stretch. I'm close, oh so close to done, but the last two innings of my graduate school career may very well take 3 months. (Sounds more like a quiddich game than a baseball game.) I have only to climb small mountains, leap buildings in a single bound, fly around the world on the back of a flying pig in 80 days or less, and not catch any form of plague and I just might make it. Burn out, anyone? I'm close to the point that you could cook marshmallows off of my burnout.

Still, some small part of me is elated to be at this point. Soon I'll have finished all my schooling for the foreseeable future. Soon I'll be in the real world. Soon I'll have a job that is the direct result of my hard work and determination. Soon. But not yet. Right now I have to find the kind of discipline my school-workings have never had before. I have to not procrastinate. I have to find my thesisical muse (I do believe there is no muse for scholarly works, Clio coming closest to what I desire, but perhaps there needs to be a 10th muse? 10 is such a nice round number.) and not have writer's block. Yes, writer's block can happen to those writing scientific type papers. Especially when one is stressed. Even if one has all of ones methods, results, and discussion figured out.

In other news, tomorrow I'm going to go visit a Nutritionist. I am grumpy about the weight I've put on in the last year. I have decided to do something about it. I have been trying to "eat right" or "eat better" and "excercise more" but those vague concepts are not going to get me anywhere. I've started this week out so well, and I want to to continue. I skated the half marathon on saturday, yesterday I did some cleaning and took the day off, and today I went running. I want to lose weight in an approved fashion. I know about counting calories and the food pyramid, but I need some help. I'm not motivated enough to count calories I don't think. My hope is that there will be some things the nutritionist can suggest to help me. I want to be comforatble in a swimsuit by the middle of june. I want to feel good while running my 5K in July. I want to do a few more marathons on my skates. I want to be healthy. So, the nutritionist it is. Plus with my current insurance, trips to visit her are free. Preventative medicine is a good thing.

No comments: