Wednesday, December 31, 2003

5...4...3....2....1...

Happy New Year!!!!

I don't know what I'm doing for the celebratory countdown yet...I mean, it's me! I procrastinate. Maybe I better make a new years resolution about that. Hm, nope, I'm gonna be realisitc.

New years resolutions: Everybody makes them. Maybe not every year, but at some point everyone stops, has the moment of clear thought and stillness that may mark an epiphany, and says "Next year, I'm gonna..." Once I thought I'd make a resolution to make no more resolutions, as I tend to not follow them, and then feel bad. But, realizing that was rather an oxymoron...I stopped that idea. This year, I'm gonna be realisitc. I'm not going to "lose 20 pounds this year", or even 10. I'm not going to resolve to "eat less sweets" I like them too much. Other favorites include keeping in touch with family and friends more, or smiling more, or telling so-and-so that you love them, or remembering to pay attention to the small things in life. Nope, none of these for me either. I know they are all good goals, but I'm not turning them into a resolution that I can break. Though I will try harder to keep in touch with people, I'd rather just do it, not resolve to do it. "Do, or do not. There is no try." I really do love that quote. I'm not going to try to be less judgemental. Hell, we all know I'm stubborn, obstinant, and set in my ways. I'm a college graduate for goodness sake. I'll just do what I learned was a "good idea" in school...keep my opinions to myself.

So what? You ask. What are you going to resolve to do as this fine year turns from 2003 to 2004? (By the way, how the hell did 23.25 or so years of my life go by this quickly?) My resolutions for 2004:
1. Floss. Yes, floss. It's something I'm supposed to be doing anyhow, and I don't want to lose my pretty pearly whites. And, this last week, I've flossed 3 out of 4 days, if you count Sunday. So, I've already started to turn it into a habit; continuing shouldn't be all that hard. Some habits are good for you...really.
2. Survive the year. Good resolution, don't you think? It's not all that crazy really. Oh, I don't mean...live through the year, though I plan on doing that. I mean, do a semester of classes for work, work hard, get ready and start my Masters. It's a different world. I don't want to be someone I don't recognize one year from now.


I could keep going but I seem to have developed a nasty cold thing. I actually have a fever! I haven't had one of those in forever. Earlier today it was 100.6. My normal body temp is about 98.2 or 98.4 so, I'm all burning. I have the chills and aches and a nasty cough. I think some bug made a New Year's Resolution to attack me. So, who knows if I'll be up at midnight counting down the numbers with everyone and blowing noise makers. I certainly won't be kissing anyone. I think the cold realized today was a great day to infect me--so many possible vectors to infect others. I may be able to make it til 11 and watch the times square ball drop. Makes me think of the last couple of New Years' celebrations. Me and Katie, watching movies one year and missing ours so staying up til one to celebrate with mountain time. Me and Katie drinking an entire liter or more of champane by ourselves. Play Project Gotham Racing and eating S'mores out of the fire. It was becoming a tradition. Sadly, Katie has already celebrated somewhere on the Continent. I raised my water glass to you in a toast at 5PM Katie, hope you and Jenny had a great time doing whatever--ringing in the new year.

Now, I'm gonna go find dinner and feel miserable. See--now had I made a resolution like "I'm gonna be a happier person in 2004" I'd already be breaking it. Yup, Flossing and Surviving til 2005. I think I can manage those!

No comments: